The scientific name for peppermint is Mentha x piperita. Peppermint originated in Europe as a hybrid of 2 wild plants, water mint and spearmint. Some of its many properties include:
· analgesic (pain relieving)
· appetite suppression
· anti-parasitic (worms)
· digestive stimulant
Peppermint oil is believed to be great on the hair for:
· Providing a cooling effect to the scalp.
· Fighting dandruff and head lice.
· Stimulating the hair follicle which helps in hair growth.
· Combating hair loss as it binds the hair roots and increases blood circulation.
· Promoting hair growth when mixed with jojoba oil and glycerin.
· Acting as an astringent which helps in the normalization of the scalp's oil production and has a neutralizing effect on the scalp.